Fashion

What to Wear to Thanksgiving Dinner

By Michaela Courand-

On Thanksgiving we take time to be thankful and cherish the special people in our lives. We are thankful for our well-being and our health. And, we can be thankful for stretchy pants … because boy do I need those when I celebrate Thanksgiving with my family. Talk about putting WAY too much food in my stomach and needing my outfit to accommodate. Who else eats a bit too much on Thanksgiving and is in a food coma after? I know I am not the only one! But onto the important part, what to wear to Thanksgiving dinner?

Dressing for any holiday can be tricky, especially one that is centered around eating! There is the conflict between wanting to look your best while simultaneously wanting to be able to eat as much as you desire without having to unzip or unbutton what you have on. I am embarrassed to say that I have been guilty of this more than one time. Luckily, I have learned a few things that I am going to share so you don’t make the mistakes I did!

What to wear to Thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of Michaela Courand

Here are a few things I would recommend to accommodate your expanding stomach and waistline. Wear nothing that involves a belt. Also, forget any form fitting or tight dress that you need to be zipped into; you can show off those curves another time. Instead, imagine an outfit that allows you to expand as much as you want, yet also lets you look the same as you did at the beginning of the meal. Take advantage of the fact that this holiday lets you dress more casually than others. You can wear leggings paired with a loose fitting sweater or shirt and some boots or booties. This outfit will look nice and put together for the holiday, without making you feel uncomfortable or thinking that you need to get home to put on something more comfortable.

What to wear to Thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of Michaela Courand

Another outfit you can wear if you want to dress up a bit more is a sweater and a skirt with boots or booties. One key to wearing this outfit is the material you choose. The other is the length of both the sweater and skirt. You need a forgiving material like cotton or polyester blend for the skirt paired with a sweater that is a bit oversized (you can see an example of a cotton skirt in one of the pictures). This outfit will look very chic–but allow for your stomach to be stuffed with yummy food! If you can, choose a high-waisted skirt. This will look very finished and trendy, but the cut will disguise how much you’ve eaten.

For both of these outfits it is best to choose rich, darker neutral colors like burgundy and olive, to avoid strong contrasts between top and bottom. That way the eye isn’t drawn to your waist. Avoid tan or lighter colors because they show things that most people want to disguise. Also, the outfits I have suggested are nice to add layers to, since this breaks up the lines and takes the focus away from your waist (refer to Fall and Winter Layering Trend in Warmer Climates).

And there you have it, you’ve got your Thanksgiving feast outfit! I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with yummy food, family, and loved ones, and you give thanks for all that you have!