Career Services

Menlo Class of 2023: An Enterprising Class

Freshman class of 2023

Total number of students who completed the assessment: 183 (80.61% of the Freshmen class of 227 students) 

Last November we wrote about the links between personality tests and “culture fit” in organizations. In this post, we’ll focus on the benefits of personality tests, and what one certain personality test – the Holland Code – can teach us about our students at Menlo. 

In “Transition to College,” or STS 100, Menlo Freshmen are eased into college life through being exposed to Menlo’s resources. One of these resources is the Office of Internships, Career Services, and Study Abroad. 

While most students who come to Menlo have a pretty good idea of what they will major in, there are students who end up changing their major at least once while they are at Menlo. It may be a slight shift (Business Entrepreneurship to International Management) or a larger shift (Finance to Psychology). When career services advisors walk into an STS 100 class, we hope that we can reaffirm students in the direction they are headed or provide them with the right resources and insight to decide what they want to major in. 

The platform Focus2Career helps us with this. Through the Work Interest Assessment, students discover their Holland Code and are directly linked to careers where their code thrives via O*NET, a useful website run by the Department of Labor where job seekers can search various fields and occupations. 

The Holland Code, or the RAISEC code, evaluates individuals who complete the assessment and spits out their work-related personality. This code is a three-letter code composed of three out of the six RAISEC letters, which each represent a type: 

R = Realistic

A = Artistic 

I = Investigative 

S = Social 

E = Enterprising 

C = Conventional 

Descriptions of each type can be found in the image below, retrieved from healthcareersinfo.net:

Last Fall, the class of 2023 completed the Work Interest Assessment through Focus2Career. 183 Freshmen completed the assessment. Of these Freshmen, 42.07% most closely identified with E – enterprising. The second code most identified with S, for social, at 23.50%.  

As you can see in the graphic included, both enterprising and social personalities are described as types who enjoy working with other people. It doesn’t come as too much of a surprise that most of our students feature this trait, or that many of them would be overwhelmingly “enterprising” – the fields of Business and Psychology are, after all, often highly people-oriented! 

The third most common code was A, with 16.93% of students identifying with artistic most strongly. Something else that we focus on here at Menlo is the entrepreneurial spirit, which takes a healthy grasp of creativity. Recall that being here at Menlo does not make a student – it’s the other way around. Menlo attracts people with these personalities. 

What does it mean if you identify most closely with C, I, or R? First, let’s recall from our last piece on personality tests, that the results aren’t everything. Every human is nuanced. Second, there is plenty of value in being investigative in the business in the business and start-up worlds (there is plenty of research to be done), a healthy dose of realism is important to bring the dreamers down to earth (keep an eye on ‘em, Rs), and data and number crunching still tend to rule (Cs, nothing will get you further in the job search than focusing on your efficiency). If you possess one of the more sparse personalities on campus, you will be in high demand for what you can bring to a team. 

What does all of this information tell us, your Career Services team? Having a sense of the personalities on campus will help us better understand what programming we can deliver to you to boost your career journey. It tells us a little bit more about what you might be looking for, and generally assist our own journey in navigating how to provide you with the best resources to help you land your next gig. 

So stay tuned, Class of 2023, for the workshops coming your way during your Sophomore year! 

Categories: Career Services

79 replies »

1. Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your
    articles? I mean, what you say is important and all. Nevertheless think about if you added some great visuals or videos to give your posts more,
    “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this blog
    could undeniably be one of the best in its field. Fantastic blog!

2. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for
    the post. I’ll definitely comeback.

3. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought
    this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already 😉 Cheers!

4. Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many
    of us have developed some nice practices and we are looking to trade methods with others, be sure
    to shoot me an email if interested.

5. Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this
    site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.

Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back
    often!

6. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with helpful info to work on. You’ve performed a formidable process and our whole neighborhood shall be
    grateful to you.

7. Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?

My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing
    many months of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any methods to
    prevent hackers? games ps4 allenferguson games ps4

8. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your
    weblog and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your
    blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment
    and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

9. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but
    I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never
    understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me.
    I am looking forward for your next post, I will try
    to get the hang of it!

10. It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy.

I’ve learn this post and if I may I want to recommend you some fascinating issues or advice.
    Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article.
    I wish to read even more issues about it!

11. Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring
    on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you discuss and
    would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would value your work.
    If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.