Fashion

When Does Dressing for the Holidays Become Too Festive?

By Michaela Courand-

The holidays are well upon us. While buying gifts for loved ones and decorating is important (especially to me, I am a huge decoration lover), it is also important to think about what to wear to parties before and on Christmas day. Few holidays have a serious clothing component the way Christmas does. It is different and unique in this way. Christmas and Christmas parties require dressing festive, and that can be a bit intimidating. You want to be festive in a way that adds a nice touch and fits the season and the party. However, there is a fine line between dressing up for the holidays and wearing an outfit that is too festive.

Christmas fashion

Photo courtesy of Michaela Courand

To me, dressing up for Christmas is exciting, and I hope it will be for you too!  Here are some guidelines to ensure a gorgeous holiday outfit.

My first guideline is to not be afraid to play with different textures. This adds a note of complexity to your outfit. Sounds tough, but I promise it isn’t.  Pull out the sequins ladies because it is the perfect time to wear them! Or, if some sparkle doesn’t suit you, you can add some shag. Adding a textured statement piece to your outfit, like a shaggy sweater or a sequined top, will add a perfect touch of festivity to your look without looking overdone. Pair your dressier top with a plain bottom, such as a skirt with tights or black/dark denim. Also, if you own faux leather leggings, they add even more texture to your outfit! It can be chilly so you might want a simple jacket to add an extra layer. Finish your look with some booties or heels and you have a perfect Christmas outfit.

Christmas fashion

Photo courtesy of Michaela Courand

My second guideline deals with when festiveness goes too far…mainly, stay away from ugly Christmas sweaters! I know they are enticing (for a moment) when they light up or sing “Jingle Bells,” but unless your Christmas party specifically asks you to wear one, or you are intentionally wearing one as a joke, stay away from them. They are called ugly Christmas sweaters for a reason. Now, how do you know if a sweater has gone too far? You’ll have to decide this for yourself, but I advise you to think about whether the word “tacky” comes to mind. If it does, even a little bit, then that sweater has gone over the line. However, this does not mean completely stay away from Christmas sweaters; many of them are great. I personally like ones that have snowflakes or reindeer patterns. They have a nice subtle Christmas touch without being over the top and tacky. But, if your sweater lights up or sings, I’d refrain from wearing it.

My third and final guideline is how to add the finishing touches to your festive outfit. What I mean by that is accessorize! This holiday wants you to be festive and adding accessories is the perfect way to complement your festive pieces. Very few can rock a Santa hat without looking like a cliché. For those who can’t, I recommend a Pom beanie to add instant holiday flair. A fun sparkly necklace can also be a great choice – but not the jingle kind! And really, how can you go wrong with wearing red lipstick? Wearing an accessory or two with your holiday outfit will give you a spectacular look.

As intimidating as it might feel to choose an outfit for a party, or for Christmas itself, try to remember how fun it can be. We only get to dress this particular way once a year; you should enjoy it! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas spent with family and loved ones; I’ll talk to you all again in the New Year with many more fashion tips to come!